Associate Secretary, Academic Support
Title of Position: Associate Secretary, Academic Support
Reports to: Deputy Secretary of Education
Closing Date: Open until filled
Description of Position:
The Delaware Department of Education is an exceptional team in search of leaders to join us who are team and support-focused. As the head of Delaware's Academic Support Team, the Associate Secretary – also known as the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) – is directly responsible for many of Delaware's most critical efforts including increasing the rigor of coursework and learning statewide, overseeing our student assessment system and implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). You will report directly to the Deputy Secretary of Education as a core member of the department's leadership team and represent the Department of Education on a number of key committees. You will provide solutions and guidance on a range of issues; advising the Secretary and Governor’s office on key legislation, coordinating the activities of your team, collaborating with leaders from school districts, charter schools and others, and implementing improvements in the learning experiences our children have each day.
We are looking for a natural motivator who excels in communication, building partnerships with key stakeholders across departmental, state, national, public, and private spheres of influence. We seek a dynamic thinker willing to challenge convention and tackle difficult problems objectively and creatively. You will need strong organizational, analytical, writing and interpersonal skills to be successful. Above all, you will share our sense of urgency as we deliver on the ambitious goals that put Delaware at the forefront of education in the United States.
The chosen candidate will work to promote educational equity so every student has access to the resources and educational rigor they need at the right moment in their education, despite race, gender, ethnicity, language, disability, family background or family income. Must be a collaborative worker who thrives on the energy of those around them. We learn from each other’s experiences and perspectives in a respectful environment where we all are committed to helping change the lives of Delaware’s children.
- Serve as a member of the Department of Education leadership team and work with other department leaders to drive state-level progress in increasing student achievement for each and every student.
- Support the department vision of every learner ready for success, in college, career and life.
- Lead the efforts of the Department of Education’s Academic Support Team in conjunction with the Secretary of Education, including the following workgroups: Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development; Office of Assessment; Exceptional Children’s Resources; Language Acquisition; Career and Technical Education/STEM; and the Delaware Higher Education Office.
- The Chief Academic Officer will be the department’s key leader on a host of issues related to curriculum, learning, and teaching.
- Serve as the department’s representative on groups whose emphasis is teaching and learning issues, including the State Board of Education.
- Coordinate the review of relevant education-related legislation, prepare legislation upon request, and provide assistance to the Secretary and Governor’s office and General Assembly.
- Drive communication at the local, state, national, and international level so that our key initiatives are understood and that the department is held accountable and responsive to feedback.
- Serve as a tireless problem-solver and thought-leader for the department by continually identifying areas for improvement and opportunities to drive results for the department’s ongoing initiatives.
- Ensure strong communication with districts, schools, educators, students, families and community members.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
A Master’s degree in education, education policy or related field; Ph.D. preferred (though not required).
A minimum of five years experience in teaching, school administration, or a related field. Considerable knowledge of issues relevant to teaching and learning and a track record of significant managerial, organizational, and leadership experience preferred.
Salary will be computed in accordance with the education, experience, and training of the individual selected and in accordance with salary schedules for employees of the Department of Education. Direct deposit of payroll checks is a condition of state employment, and employees are paid on a lag pay schedule with the first payment made after approximately one month of employment.
This is an appointed position and continued employment with the State of Delaware is at the discretion of the Secretary of Education. A criminal background check is required. This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The selected candidate should expect to perform any other related activities needed to deliver the position’s key duties and responsibilities and follow any other instructions as defined by the Secretary of Education.
The Delaware Department of Education is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome candidates from a diversity of backgrounds. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities. Inquiries should be directed to the Department’s Human Resource Office, 401 Federal Street, Suite 2, Dover, Delaware, 19901, Telephone No. (302) 735-4030.