JOB TITLE: Principal
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer/Superintendent
JOB GOAL: The principal of Eastside Charter School will play an essential role in the growth and development of every student and staff member. The person in this role must be an exceptional instructional leader who models excellence in all facets while undertaking a wide range of instructional, operational, and management duties. Overseeing a Leadership Team that includes assistant principals and deans, this leader is responsible for creating a safe learning environment for all children and a warm professional environment that supports and pushes each teacher and staff member to perform at the highest level. This person is responsible for ensuring that Common Core-aligned instruction is of high quality, behavior is well-managed, and that students and teachers consistently demonstrate a significant amount of learning.
OVERVIEW: EastSide Charter School (PreK-8, founded in 1997) and Family Foundations Academy (K-4 and 5-8 campuses, founded in 2006) are free, public schools that collectively education approximately 1300 students across three campuses in Wilmington, and New Castle Delaware. Both schools formed a partnership in January 2015 to be overseen and supported by a Central Office. Both schools pride themselves on being community-based schools, using multiple partnerships, strong relationships with families, and a dedicated and hard-working staff to ensure academic success for all students. Since 2011, EastSide has undergone a significant turnaround. Growing an average of 30 proficiency points in Math and Reading, EastSide has been touted by Delaware's governor and the Delaware Department of Education as a model for school turnaround and urban school success. Family Foundations is in the midst of change in leadership and a new direction to drive it towards continued academic excellence. This monumental partnership, the first of its kind in the State of Delaware will prove that students of all types and schools regardless of their location or demographic can be consistently high performing in every facet. As a result of our desired success, we hope to improve our communities by ensuring that our students develop the character and skills necessary to being an influential and contributing member of the community and global society. This position is suited for someone who is willing to do "Whatever it Takes" to support our students in being successful in school and in life.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The primary duty of the Principal of Eastside Charter is to build and lead a world-class pre K-8 school that guides every child to develop the academic skills and habits, self-confidence and self- and social awareness to achieve success in their personal and professional lives. In order to do this, the Principal will:
- Work collaboratively with the central office team, and partner school principals in the design and leadership of the school;
- Further develop a rigorous student-centered Common-Core aligned curriculum in all grades and subject areas;
- Design and effectively implement a comprehensive Academic and Climate Program (master schedule, class rosters, discipline procedures and proactive supports, lunch plan, transition procedures, field trips, assemblies, etc.);
- Lead the recruitment, selection, and hiring processes for teachers and non-instructional staff members;
- Recruit students to fill all classes each year;
- Evaluate teacher, leader and non-instructional staff performance including but not limited to weekly observation and coaching of lessons and instructional plans both formally and informally using the Teaching Excellence framework, conducting summative evaluations bi-annually, and conducting data analysis meetings;
- Create and implement school-wide professional development plan that cultivate ongoing reflection, collaboration and constant learning among instructional staff; ensure quality PLC's throughout the school;
- Collect and evaluate all relevant student achievement data and track individual, class, and grade level data to measure progress and develop individualized interventions with teachers;
- Manage teacher absences and substitute plans as needed;
- Undertake other duties as needed and assigned by the CEO/Superintendent.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Master's Degree in Education from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Has or is eligible for State of Delaware certification as principal
- Has or is eligible for State of Delaware certification as teacher
- At least 1 year of school leadership experience including management of adults (3 years preferred)
- At least 4 years of successful teaching experience
- Experience working in an urban school environment required
- An outstanding record of elevating student achievement in an urban classroom, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
Eastside Charter educators must:
- Be driven to improve the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; dedicated to doing whatever it takes to help all students achieve academic success
- Be passionate about academic learning and insistent on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- Be self-aware and know how to treat all members of the school's community with respect, appraises accurately his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded
- Work urgently and be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed with the ability to work independently and with a team
- Act entrepreneurially as an initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Effectively communicate with various audiences in an authentic and persuasive manner
- Possess strong written communication skills
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed and able to work independently on short- and long-term projects
- Satisfactory criminal, child abuse, and FBI clearances
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year: 12 months plus occasional evening and weekend commitments will also be required
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Educators may also be eligible for a performance bonus based on several metrics as evaluated by the CEO/Superintendent. Eastside Charter offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues and a comprehensive benefits plan.
Job Posting Link: https://eastsidefamilyfoundations.tedk12.com
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.