Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Position: Teacher of the Visually Impaired #2476
Closing Date: Until Filled
Months of Employment: 10 month position
Location: Itinerant / Office - To Be Determined
- Must meet or be eligible for State of Delaware Department of Education licensure and certification as Teacher, Special Education-Teacher of the Visually Impaired
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate Braille literacy or hold Certification in Braille.
- Must be able to stand and work continuously for a minimum of 4 hours per work day.
- Minimum lifting requirements- 50 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to use arms and hands without restrictions to accommodate the physical, mobility, and ambulatory needs of students.
Position Description and Responsibilities: The teacher in this position will be responsible for providing itinerant vision related education services to students in a variety of settings. Responsibilities include participating in the development of Individualized Education Plans, the use and instruction of Braille and functional vision and learning media assessments, and making and providing adaptations and modifications of core curriculum in collaboration with classroom teachers. There is a strong emphasis on collaborating with families, school personnel, related service providers, and agencies.
- Plans and implements educational lessons to address educational needs by accommodating for the specific eye condition.
- Keeps accurate records and data to reflect student progress and provides mandated reports to schools and families.
- Attends mandated meetings concerning the educational needs of the students and advocates for students' needs.
- Acquires and delivers books, adaptive equipment, and administers appropriate assessments to students and writes reports with recommendations.
- Collaborates with school staff, other agencies and families to provide integrated services that meet the child's visual needs.
- Collaborates with families, schools and vocational rehabilitation staff to prepare students for transition out of school and into post-secondary education or employment.
- Makes referrals for additional services that may be needed by the student to address visual needs and to transition into adult life.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position
Start Date: Mutually agreeable
Job Posting Link: www.applitrack.com/christina/onlineapp/default.aspx
Salary Range: From/To: Teacher salary schedule based on experience and degree. Salary Schedule can be found on the district's website: http://christinak12.org/ourpages/auto/2012/6/27/51310670/Teachers-Non-Grandfathered--FY2016-2017.pdf
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Additional Job Information:
Application procedure: Interested applicants must complete an online teaching application and upload a letter of interest, resume, copies PRAXIS scores, transcripts, copy of license/certification and three current letters(within one year of closing date) of recommendation. Previous submissions will not automatically flow to this posting. In order to be considered for this position, you must apply specifically for the Job ID listed for this position.
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.