K-3 Director of Literacy
JOB TITLE: Director of Literacy K-3
REPORTS TO: Principal/Chief Academic Officer
JOB GOAL: The Director of Literacy will play an essential role in the growth and development of each of our students. The Director of Literacy must be an exceptional instructional leader who models excellence in all facets while undertaking many of the duties of a typical principal. Overseeing the entire School Program, this leader is responsible for creating a safe learning environment for all children and a warm professional environment that supports and pushes each teacher to perform at the highest level. This person is accountable to the Principal for ensuring that instruction is of high quality, behavior is well- managed, and that students and teachers consistently demonstrate a significant amount of learning.
OVERVIEW: Founded in 1997, EastSide Charter School is a free, public elementary school that educates 425 students in Wilmington, Delaware. EastSide prides itself on being a community-based school, using multiple partnerships, strong relationships with families, and a dedicated and hard-working faculty to ensure academic success for its students.
EastSide is in the midst of a dynamic turnaround effort that will have a profound impact in Wilmington. EastSide staff members play a significant role in ensuring that our students develop the character and skills necessary to being an influential and contributing member of the community and global society. This position is suited for someone who is willing to do "Whatever it Takes" to support our students in being successful in school and in life.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Director of Literacy will:
- Design and effectively implement the K-3 Literacy Program
- Evaluate teacher performance including but not limited to weekly observation and coaching of lessons and instructional plans both formally and informally using the Teaching Excellence framework, conducting summative evaluations bi-annually;
- Support teachers as needed in terms of instruction, classroom management, and data analysis;
- Assist individual teachers in developing professional growth/development plans;
- Promote a positive behavioral climate during class, transitions, lunch, and all activities; assign appropriate punishments as needed; approving suspensions and leading reinstatement meetings;
- Work with teachers and staff to ensure curriculum is aligned with the Common Core Standards;
- Evaluate all relevant student achievement data and track individual, class, and grade level data to measure progress and develop interventions with teachers;
- Manage teacher absences and substitute teacher plan as needed;
- Lead PLC meetings and design and conduct Professional Development sessions regularly that cultivate ongoing reflection, collaboration and constant learning among instructional staff;
- Undertake other duties as needed and assigned by the Principal or CAO.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Master's Degree in Education from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Has or is eligible for State of Delaware certification as teacher
- Has or is eligible for State of Delaware certification as principal
- At least three years of urban teaching experience (one year of leadership preferred)
- An outstanding record of elevating student achievement in an urban classroom, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
EastSide educators must:
- Be driven to improve the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; dedicated to doing whatever it takes to help all students achieve academic success
- Be passionate about academic learning and insistent on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- Be self-aware and know how to treat all members of the school's community with respect, appraises accurately his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded
- Work urgently and be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed with the ability to work independently and with a team
- Act entrepreneurially as an initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Effectively communicate with various audiences in an authentic and persuasive manner
- Possess strong written communication skills
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed and able to work independently on short- and long- term projects
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year: 11 months plus up to two weeks during the summer; occasional evening and weekend commitments will also be required
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Educators may also be eligible for a performance bonus based on several metrics as evaluated by the Principal. EastSide Charter School offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues and a comprehensive benefits plan.
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.