Director of College then Career
JOB TITLE: Director of College then Career
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB GOAL: The Director of College then Career is accountable for ensuring that all of our 8 th grade students are placed in highly competitive high schools that will prepare them for successful college performance directed toward specific career goals. Establishing career goals is a key component to this position. The Director will research competitive high schools in Delaware as well as explore national opportunities for students. Major responsibilities include: creating, developing and implementing the College then Career program; advising students on academic options and requirements; teaching middle school classes to prepare students for the high school application process; leading students on tours of other schools; matching student profiles to high school options; establishing relationships with our alumni to ensure they are supported as they move through high school and assisting in evaluating options if they choose to make changes. An essential part of this role is to offer support to families by identifying job opportunities and providing a continued learning bank.
ABOUT US: EastSide Charter School (PreK-8, founded in 1997) and Charter School of New Castle (K-4 and 5-8 campuses, founded in 2006) are free, public schools that collectively education approximately 1300 students across three campuses in Wilmington, and New Castle Delaware. Both schools formed a partnership in January 2015 to be overseen and supported by a Central Office. Both schools pride themselves on being community-based schools, using multiple partnerships, strong relationships with families, and a dedicated and hard-working staff to ensure academic success for all students. Since 2011, EastSide has undergone a significant turnaround. Growing an average of 30 proficiency points in Math and Reading, EastSide has been touted by Delaware's governor and the Delaware Department of Education as a model for school turnaround and urban school success. Family Foundations is in the midst of change in leadership and a new direction to drive it towards continued academic excellence. This monumental partnership, the first of its kind in the State of Delaware will prove that students of all types and schools regardless of their location or demographic can be consistently high performing in every facet. As a result of our desired success, we hope to improve our communities by ensuring that our students develop the character and skills necessary to being an influential and contributing member of the community and global society. This position is suited for someone who is willing to do "Whatever it Takes" to support our students in being successful in school and in life.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- HS Placement
- Research and build relationships with public and private schools in the local area as well as in the state of Delaware.
- Teach classes in middle schools to prepare students for the application process
- Meet with families to discuss how to select the best schools for their children
- Monitor the application process and ensure that students are completing every step necessary for placement in the Fall
- Monitor alumni in High School and beyond, offer them support as needed
- Parent Support & Communication:
- Connect families with continuous learning opportunities that can include college options, trade schools, or GED programs
- Connect families with job opportunities
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's Preferred
- At least 1-2 years of experience in a teaching role or HS or College guidance counselor (3 years preferred)
- Experience working in an urban school environment required
- An outstanding record of supporting the needs of teachers, students and their families in elevating student achievement in an urban classroom, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results Required Skills/Traits:
- The ideal candidate must:
- Be accessible to students in order to gain their trust through genuine empathetic communication and listening; doing whatever it takes to help students achieve academic & behavioral success
- Accurately identify his or her strengths/weaknesses, and be perceptive about how he/she is regarded
- Be detail-oriented, self-directed, and able to work independently or with a team on short- and long-term projects thereby working urgently juggling multiple tasks and initiatives at once.
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year: 12 month, select Saturdays, and occasional evening and weekend commitments will also be required; occasional travel throughout the state and region.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is commensurate with qualifications and experience. EastSide/Charter School of New Castle offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues and a comprehensive benefits plan.
Job Posting Link: https://eastsidefamilyfoundations.tedk12.com
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.