Head of School
Position Announcement - Sussex Montessori School Head of School
About Sussex Montessori School:
Sussex Montessori School (SMS) was approved as a charter school by the Delaware Department of Education in April 2018, with an expectation to open grades K through 3 in Fall 2019, then to add one grade per year to eventually serve children in grades K through 6. The SMS Board believes that the creation of a Montessori public school in Sussex County, DE will improve student learning, allow for greater choice for parents, and serve as a model for alternative approaches to education by providing a proven and innovative teaching and learning environment.
The mission of SMS is to nurture the development of empathetic, collaborative, persistent and innovative global and community citizens in accordance with the time-tested philosophy of Maria Montessori, through authentic personalized learning experiences, respectful relationships, opportunities to innovate, and a focus on global citizenship.
The school will be located in western Sussex County, Delaware, which is a diverse rural area with a thriving Hispanic population as well as growing Haitian community.
Summary of Position:
The Head of School is accountable for the operations of the program and activities of Sussex Montessori School, in keeping with the mission and vision of the school and the direction as set by the Sussex Montessori School Board. The Head of School reports directly to the SMS Board of Directors, and must represent the Board and embody the vision of the school in its relations with faculty, staff, students, families and the community.
During the 2018-2019 academic year, the SMS Head of School will work with the SMS Board to secure a school site, recruit teachers and other school staff, establish relationships within the community (particularly with underserved families), meet targets set by the DDOE Charter Office, and forge an identity for the school. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, innovative, autonomous and undeterred by barriers. This position presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced school leader to realize his/her vision for a child-centered and community-based public Montessori school.
Sussex County, Delaware
- Carry out the broad educational policies established by the Board and within the limits of the financial policy set by the Board.
- Assume responsibility for the day-to-day operation of the school.
- Act as liaison between the Board and the school.
- Oversee the business operations.
- Oversee the Educational Program of the school.
- Supervise all faculty and staff, both teaching and non-teaching.
- Provide administrative and professional leadership for faculty and staff.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services that support the mission, vision, and strategic goals of the school.
- Provide leadership for activities which affect the current and future development of the school (such as strategic planning and setting curricular goals).
- With the assistance of the Director of Education, ensure that program quality is maintained and that classrooms have appropriate instructional materials.
- Conduct regular teacher and paraprofessional evaluations and provides feedback/ coaching.
- Ensure that all staff have quality Montessori professional growth opportunities.
- Supervise and participates in the selecting and hiring of properly-qualified persons to serve as members of the faculty.
- Builds relationship with prospective and current parents supporting the admission and retention of children in the school.
- Represent the school to all of its constituents including neighborhood and community, parents, students, business community, faculty, staff and the educational community.
- Master's degree or higher in a field related to education from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrated experience with strategic planning.
- Background knowledge of the fiscal and operating needs of a school.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with community.
- Knowledge of state and federal special education requirements.
- Record of working effectively with underserved students.
- Record of collaborative work and shared decision-making with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Experience leading an accredited Montessori school or early learning program.
- Montessori-Certified Training or extensive experience with Montessori philosophy and curriculum.
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Haitian Creole.
How to Apply:
Select the Sussex Montessori School Head of School position from Join Delaware Schools ( www.joindelawareschools.org ), where you can submit a resume reflecting your qualifications for the position along with a one-page cover letter explaining your vision for Sussex Montessori School along with your experiences relevant to realizing that vision.
Please organize your resume to clearly address the required and preferred qualifications above. You should also include any additional qualifications you would bring to the position.
Review of applications will begin on July 1, 2018. Start date for the position may be as early as September 1, 2018. Position will be open until filled.
If you have any questions about this position, contact firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications sent to this address will not be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Sussex Montessori School is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans.
Start Date: September 2018
Reports To: Sussex Montessori School Board
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.