Teacher of the Deaf-Blind- Multiple Disabilities Inclusion
Position: Teacher of the Deaf-Blind - Multiple Disabilities Inclusion Closing Date: Until filled
Location: Delaware School for the Deaf
- Fluency in American Sign Language - preferred
- State of Delaware Certification in Deafness, Visually Impaired and/or Special Education (Deaf-Blindness preferred)
- Experience with best practices with instruction of children with sensory impairments (deaf, hard of hearing, blind, low vision and/or deaf-blind) and other challenges (e.g. autism spectrum disorders, and/or cognitive delay)
- Must be able to stand and work continuously for a minimum of 4 hours per work day.
- Minimum lifting requirements- 50 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to use arms and hands without restrictions to accommodate the physical, mobility, and ambulatory needs of students
- Experience working with students birth to 21 with deaf-blindness preferred, deafness or blindness desirable
- Working knowledge of best and/or promising practices for multiple disabilities with sensory impairments in regards to alternative augmentative communication strategies, impact of combined vision and hearing impairments as well as students' learning styles and needs, both academic and affective.
Serve as primary support and resource for the inclusion of students with multiple disabilities, including collaborative planning and implementation of individualized education programs. Additional teacher responsibilities and duties, include but are not limited to:
- Supporting professional development and providing instructional staff and families resources regarding the impact of the student's sensory loss and additional conditions/disabilities on students' learning
- Directing, monitoring and reporting student progress in attaining IEP goals in conjunction with classroom staff
- Communicating with parents concerning their child's progress
- Support lesson plans and provided recommendations for instructional materials that provide individualized and/or small group instruction.
- Collaborating in interdisciplinary teams
- Planning of community-based and transition-focused activities
- Regularly assessing student learning using standardized and teacher made assessments, work samples, portfolios
- Assess students' developmental, cognitive and social needs and provide developmentally appropriate recommendations and support for instruction to meet those needs.
- Supervising and assuring student safety
- Establishing and maintaining standards of student behavior and attitude needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom and vocational environment
- Attendance at team and instructional meetings as required
- Have working knowledge and understanding of audiograms, ophthalmological evaluation and functional visional assessments
- Have a working knowledge of how the combined degrees of hearing and vision loss can affect learning.
- Provide support and recommendations towards lessons and learning environments that are safe, respectful and interesting as well as multicultural/gender and ability fair/developmentally appropriate. Select, adapt and individualize materials appropriate for diverse student populations and skill levels.
- Performing other related duties as assigned
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position
Start Date: mutually agreeable
Job Posting Link: www.applitrack.com/christina/onlineapp/default.aspx
Salary Range: From/To: Salary: Teacher salary schedule based on experience and degree. Salary Schedule can be found on the districts website: https://christinak12.org/ourpages/auto/2012/6/27/51310670/Teachers-Non-Grandfathered--FY2019.pdf
- Teacher of Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired
Additional Job Information:
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested applicants must complete an online teaching application and upload a letter of interest, resume, copies PRAXIS scores, transcripts, copy of license/certification and three current letters(within one year of application) of recommendation. Previous submissions will not automatically flow to this posting. In order to be considered for this position, you must apply specifically for the Job ID listed for this position.
Apply online: http://www.applitrack.com/christina/onlineapp/default.aspx
Employment is conditional upon receipt of an acceptable criminal background report, a negative pre-employment drug screening and a child abuse registry check showing you are not on the registry at any level
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.