2018-19 Secondary School Counselor
POSITION: 2018-19 Secondary School Counselor
LOCATION: Dover High School
REPORTS TO: Principal
STARTING DATE: August 2018
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Provides a full range of professional student services, including group and individual counseling activities, to assist students in grades 9-12 in their development of academic and social skills; also provides consultation services to parents and school staff to assist in the identification of the needs of students, to prevent and resolve problems and conflicts, and to promote an understanding of student's strengths, weaknesses, limitations, and behaviors.
- Assists students in evaluating students' aptitudes and abilities through the interpretation of test scores and other pertinent data, and work with students in developing education and occupation plans consistent with such evaluation.
- Assists students in making course and subject selections, as well as with evaluating career interests and choices.
- Assists in the scheduling of classes.
- Obtains and disseminates information regarding occupational opportunities to students and to classes studying occupations.
- Assists students with admissions, scholarship and identifying employment opportunities.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with guidance services.
- Assists with the registration and orientation students who are new to the school regarding procedures and educational opportunities.
- Assists with the school district's dropout prevention efforts.
- Serves as ready resource to students to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and maturity.
- Plans and coordinates field trips to institutions of higher learning, businesses and other organizations related to guidance responsibilities.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibilit
- Must hold a certification through the Delaware Department of Education in one of the following:
Required License (s)
· Initial License
· Continuing License
· Secondary School Counselor
· School Social Worker
Start Date: TBD
Duty Days: 188
Reports To: Principal
Job Posting Link: www.capital.k12.de.us
- School Guidance Counselor Grades 9-12 (Valid 5-8 in a Middle School)
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.