Spanish Immersion Teacher
For 2018 - 2019 School Year
Position PurposeUnder the general supervision of school principal, to develop students' knowledge, skills and abilities in comprehending, speaking, reading and writing in Spanish and to develop an understanding and appreciation of the native culture of the countries where the language is the primary means of communication.
- Develops and administers foreign language education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualize and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in Spanish including comprehension, grammar and syntax, sentence and paragraph structure, composition, vocabulary and proper word usage, colloquialisms, communication and translation of literature.
- Develops student understanding and appreciation of the cultures and mores of countries where the language is the predominant or a major means of communication.
- Works with students and others to prepare materials for inclusion in literary publications, contests, etc.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Travel to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of the identified language, in terms of grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, and literature.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
This posting will be open until filled.
Completed Online Internal Transfer Application via Join Delaware Schools
Letter of Interest
Completed Online Application via Join Delaware Schools
Letter of Interest
Three letters of reference
Out-of-state applicants must provide evidence of certification
Start Date: 2018-19 School Year
Reports To: Principal
Salary Range: From/To: As per scale
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.