Business and Finance Specialist
COMMUNITY EDUCATION BUILDING
Title: Business and Finance Specialist
Reports To: Vice President for Finance, Administration and Student Services
THE COMMUNITY EDUCATION BUILDING
The Community Education Building (CEB) is a private nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform urban education through collaborative partnerships. The CEB is a collaborative of high performing charter schools and support partners working together to enhance every student's ability to achieve academic excellence. Through a collaborative, shared services model, we work together with our partner schools to ensure that every student has what she or he needs to excel in school. Currently, two public charter schools are co-located within the CEB—Kuumba Academy Charter (K-8) and Great Oaks Academy Charter (Grades 6-9)—serving approximately 1,200 students.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an emerging leader with accounting and financial experience, including audit experience as well as experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information. The Business and Finance Specialist will assist in all day-to-day finance operations of $6.2 million budget, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, benefits, and grants administration. The Business and Finance Specialist will assist in the development of systems and procedures to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Business and Accounting Support
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Support the maintenance of internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, department budgets, and expenditures.
- Support the process of the external audit of the organization's financial audit.
- Analyze financial data as requested and present results in an accurate and timely manner.
- Manage all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Assist in the development of operating procedures and internal controls for Financial Reporting, Accounting, Federal and State Grants Administration, Food Service, and Benefits Administration.
- Oversee the process to receive, code, and distribute for approval, all invoices.
- Receive, code and reconcile all credit card transactions and activity.
- Post all transactions to the general ledger. Record all income, expenses, deposits and adjusting entries as necessary.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts to bank statements, credit card statement, and loan statements.
- Monitor accounts receivables; ensure timely payment of obligations.
- Monthly review departmental budget trackers and meet with department leads as necessary.
- Prepare all federal and state filings, and form 1099 for contracted professional services.
- Receive, route and process all invoices for approval.
- Maintain all banking statements in organized files.
- Maintain CEB checkbooks.
- Assist VP Finance and Administration in managing vendor relationships.
- Establish and maintain all vendor files.
- Establish and maintain all CEB and PS#5 files other than HR files.
- Manage and maintain office systems and equipment.
- Manage hardware and software licenses.
- Monitor renewal dates for permits, licenses, and contracts.
- Assist in benefits administration, including working with third party brokers, ensuring the accuracy and timely filing of reports, as well as legal and regulatory compliance.
- Assist with renewal and selection of benefits.
- Serve as primary point person for short and long-term disability issues.
- Support CEB's 403(b) administration.
Personal Traits and Strengths
- Integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to CEB's mission.
- A positive contributor to a friendly, respectful, and supportive work environment.
- A proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own responsibility for finance.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills needed for strategic data analysis.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Enthusiastic about embracing new challenges.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor's or Associates degree in accounting.
- Successful accounting experience.
- Experience coordinating audit activities.
- Experience with financial reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and benefits administration.
- Experience with compliance and reporting of government and private grants is preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
Human Resource Information
Full-time, exempt position. The CEB offers competitive salary and benefits, and is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Linda Jennings. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Fax: 302-468-4587; Mail: 1200 N. French Street, Wilmington DE 19801, RE: Business and Finance Specialist.
Job Posting Link: www.cebde.org/uploads/2/5/2/7/25275576/business_and_financial_specialist.pdf
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.