Monitoring Paraprofessional (Overnight)
POSITION: Monitoring Paraprofessional (Overnight) LOCATION: DSD
REPORT TO: Designated Administrator
- Holds high school transcript or equivalency, along with one of the following:
- An associate degree or higher with a GPA of 2.0 or higher from an accredited institution , or
- Sixty college credits from an accredited institution, or
- A score of 459 or higher on the ParaPro Test
- Eighteen years of age or older with a high school diploma or GED
- Fluency in American Sign Language (required)
- Experience and/or training in working with deaf/hard of hearing children (preferred)
- Manual Communication Skills (or willingness to acquire skills)
- Evidence of the ability to work with children of all ages
- Must be able to stand and work continuously for a minimum of 4 hours per work day.
- Minimum lifting requirements- 50 pounds (with assistance).
- Must be able to use arms and hands without restrictions to accommodate the physical, mobility, and ambulatory needs of students.
- Perform other duties as requested by administration to meet the needs of the students.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Monitoring Para works a 40-hour week scheduled during overnight hours Monday through Thursday evenings. The Monitoring Para works directly with the Residence Advisor and is expected to:
- Remain alert and attentive at all times
- Assist Residence Advisor and other Monitoring Paras by using a cooperative team approach, including flexibility in supervising and assisting various students and areas
- Assist Residence Advisor as requested, with tasks related to the care and supervision of students and building security (No Monitoring Para is permitted to leave his/her designated area without the prior approval of the Residence Advisor. Arrangements must be made to have the area covered at all times.)
- Make periodic bed checks on students and maintain a record throughout the night on conditions or activities. These bed checks should be done no more than 30 minutes apart and at varied times (e.g. 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes). After each check is made it must be documented and signed in the log book which should remain visible in the area at all times.
- Assist in maintaining a log throughout the night on any condition or activity demonstrated by a student
- Assist in evacuating the building in case of fire or other emergency
- Care for and assist students who become ill, need to wake up for special schedules or require other special attention. Communicate with school personnel any unusual activity which may affect a student's performance in school the following day
- Care for and assist a student who is a bed wetter
- Assist in securing the building and receiving delivered goods during the night
- Wake and assist students on special schedules
- Assist Residence Advisors in writing End-of-Marking-Period reports
- Handle all emergencies (e.g. behavior problems, medical and health needs) as outlined by current school policy; stabilize the situation and notify the Residence Advisor; assist the Residence Advisor in providing on-going intervention in emergencies
- Follow school communication philosophy
- Monitor and assist students at breakfast and/or in student areas as required by the Residence Advisor
- Assist Residence Advisors and other Monitoring Paras by participating in a cooperative team approach
- Be familiar with and follow guidelines established in specialized behavior programs for students, if applicable.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Head Resident Advisor or Dean of Students
- Prepare necessary reports or clerical tasks as requested
- Promote and maintain a home-like environment which encourages independence, self-help and self-reliance
- Attend scheduled staff development days as required
- Follow school communication policy at ALL times
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Start Date: Mutually agreeable
Job Posting Link: www.applitrack.com/christina/onlineapp/default.aspx
Salary Range: From/To: Commensurate with appropriate schedule: https://christinak12.org/ourpages/auto/2012/6/27/51310670/Paraprofessionals--FY2017-2018.pdf
Additional Job Information:
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Qualified applicants must submit an online paraprofessional application upload letter of interest, resume and three current (within one year), dated, & signed professional reference letter. Previous submissions will not automatically flow to this posting. In order to be considered for this position, you must apply specifically for the Job ID listed for this position.
Apply online: http://www.applitrack.com/christina/onlineapp/default.aspx
A person may not be employed by a public school employer in any position requiring licensure and certification if the person does not meet licensure and certification requirements established under Chapter 12 of [Title 14 of the Delaware Code]..., except pursuant to a license extension and/or emergency certificate issued pursuant to Chapter 12. See 14 Del. C.§ 1313.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all new employees hired after December 31, 1995
Use of any published data or content on this web site is prohibited without the written consent of the Delaware Department of Education.